2016-2017 Bulletin 
    May 29, 2024  
2016-2017 Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Financial Aid

Beverly Green, Director
Financial Aid, Harper East
E-mail: finaid@cgu.edu

Office: (909) 621-8337

Financial aid is available from federal and private funding sources at CGU.

Federal Aid

Because Federal guidelines and programs change frequently, students should make sure they understand and comply with financial aid e-mail messages, student portal messages, and direct mailings. 

Financial aid includes Federal Direct Unsubsidized, Federal Direct Grad PLUS, Federal Perkins Loans, and Federal Work Study.  To apply, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA), available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.  CGU’s federal school code is G01169.  Priority consideration is given to applications received prior to March 1. 

Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan

Federal Stafford Unsubsidized loans are insured by the federal government and available to eligible borrowers to assist with education cost. There is no requirement to demonstrate financial need.  The maximum loan amount is up to $20,500 per academic year and is based on the cost of attendance minus other financial aid received.

Students are responsible for paying the interest on a Direct Unsubsidized Loan during all periods of enrollment.  If the student chooses not to pay the interest while enrolled, during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods, the interest will accrue (accumulate) and be capitalized (interest will be added to the principal amount of the loan). 

Interest rates and fees are set by the U.S. Congress each academic year.  For example, the interest rate for loans disbursed between July 1, 2015, and July 1, 2016, are fixed at 5.84%.  The federal government also charges a loan fee (Origination Fee) of 1.068% for loans first disbursed on or after October 1, 2015.

Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan

Grad PLUS loans are loans for graduate students enrolled at least half time to assist with education cost.  The U.S. Department of Education is the lender and makes Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans to eligible borrowers.  The maximum loan amount is based on the cost of attendance minus other financial aid received.

A credit check is performed during the application process. If there is an adverse credit history, the student may still receive a Grad PLUS Loan by obtaining an endorser who does not have an adverse credit history or by documenting to the U.S. Department of Education satisfactory extenuating circumstances relating to the adverse credit history.

The interest rate for Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans has a fixed rate of  6.84%.  The loan origination fee of 4.272% applies to all Grad PLUS loans first disbursed on or after October 1, 2015. 

Grad PLUS Loans enter repayment once the loan is fully disbursed. However, this loan will be placed into deferment while you are enrolled at least half-time and for an additional six months after you cease to be enrolled at least half-time. If the loan is deferred, interest will accrue during the deferment period. Students may choose to pay the accrued interest or allow the interest to capitalize when the deferment period ends.

Federal Work Study

The Federal work study program is designed to provide jobs to help students with educational expenses.  Hourly pay rates vary depending on the type of work performed.  A determination of eligibility for federal work study does not guarantee a job, but qualifies the student to interview for available positions.  CGU awards Federal Work Study funds on a first come, first served basis, therefore apply early. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

CGU’s policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)   is available in the Progress to Degree  section of the Bulletin.

Federal Regulations require CGU to establish an annual SAP Policy that applies reasonable standards for measuring whether a student, who is otherwise eligible for financial aid, is maintaining SAP toward the completion of the educational objective. These standards must equal or exceed the academic standards for students not receiving federal financial aid.  Programs governed by the SAP policy include Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loans, Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Work Study, and any other financial aid program requiring academic progress standards. Per the policy, reviews are conducted from two perspectives.

  • Qualitative Standard - must maintain good academic standing by meeting the minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA requirement. In addition, for master’s and doctoral students alike, a maximum of two Incomplete grades are permitted at any one time.; Incompletes in Master’s Critique, Master’s Thesis, or Dissertation Research are not factored into the number of Incomplete grades for financial aid purposes.
  • Quantitative Standard - time limits to complete a degree on a cumulative basis, comparing the number of units attempted versus the number of units earned on an annual basis.   Time limits to degree are established in the University’s SAP policy . Leave of absence semesters and semesters during which the student withdraws prior to receiving financial aid are not counted toward the student’s time limit.  Research leaves, which are intended to facilitate the student’s progress to degree are counted against the student’s time limit. 


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Chart

Minimum level of enrollment Half-time 4 units per semester Half-time 4 units per semester Each semester and at each disbursement
Minimum GPA 3.00 3.00 Annually
Minimum number of units completed academic year during coursework   8 8
Maximum number of incompletes and/or permanent number of incompletes 2 total 2 total Annually
Maximum time-frame with:
13-24 transfer units 5 years 6 years Annually
1-12 transfer units 5 years 6.5 years Annually
No transfer units 5 years 7 years Annually

Financial Aid Ineligibility

Failure to meet SAP standards results in the student’s ineligibility to receive financial aid.


Students who wish to appeal ineligibility for financial aid due to unsatisfactory progress must do so in writing, providing reasons why the minimum academic requirements were not met.  Supporting documentation must be provided as evidence of extenuating circumstances.  If time limits to complete a degree have expired, an Academic Plan may be required to document outstanding degree requirements and to track the additional time that may be needed.

Guidelines for developing an appeal are available from the Financial Aid Office.  The student’s academic record and documentation provided in the student’s appeal package are taken into consideration.  At the conclusion of the review process, students are notified of the disposition and advised whether an exception to policy can be approved.

Private/Alternative Loans

Private Loans are credit-based consumer loans that can be used for education-related purposes and require no collateral. Many students qualify on their own, but we do recommend that you apply with a creditworthy cosigner who has excellent credit. International students may qualify for these types of loans; however, they must have a credit-worthy US citizen or permanent resident co-borrower in order to be considered.  You may select any lender you chose by going directly to their website and applying. We do recommend that you research the various private-loan options to ensure that your selection best suits your needs.

Fellowships/Institutional Aid

CGU awards fellowship aid on the basis of merit and the recommendation of the departmental faculty to support distinguished students in their degree programs. Most institutional support is granted in the form of a tuition fellowship, although some stipends and assistantships are awarded. Money for fellowships comes from CGU’s general fund, the generosity of private donors, foundations, and corporations. A listing is provided in the Fellowship Funds  section of the Bulletin. Students interested in fellowships should discuss available options with their departments.

A limited number of merit fellowships are awarded to outstanding students in each of the doctoral granting programs and include full tuition plus a stipend. Most awards are for partial tuition fellowships and are very competitive. The potential for renewals of fellowships is competitive, contingent upon availability of funds and academic performance.

  • February 1 is the priority deadline for completed applications for all fellowship awards for both new and continuing students. January 15 is the priority date for students interested in psychology. New students desiring fellowships should complete the appropriate forms.
  • Preference is given to students with full graduate standing. Students with conditional standing are ineligible.
  • Continuing students desiring fellowship aid must complete the application available from their departments or programs.

Teaching and Research Assistantships. These non-need based awards are compensation for specific services and are allocated to advanced students. Assistants may be placed at CGU or at one of the other Claremont Colleges or affiliated institutions. Assistantships are available in all fields of study, though award amounts vary. Workloads range between eight and 15 hours per week. With the exception of federal work study, full-time assistants may not engage in other activity for pay but may accept fellowship awards.

Traineeships. Traineeships are connected to research and are open to new and continuing students. Students in botany are expected to undergo a traineeship program in conjunction with their academic work during the first two years of study.

Associateships. Associateships may be granted to students serving as administrative assistants or acting in a supervisory capacity. Several faculty associateships are available to students in education who are selected to supervise in the Teacher Education Internship Program. The amounts of the associateships vary. Application should be made through the director of teacher education.

Residence Assistantships. Pomona and Pitzer Colleges employ CGU students as residence assistants for specific managerial functions in the undergraduate residence halls or the Oldenborg Language Center. Positions as residence assistants, advisors, and managers are open to graduate students in all fields.

Oldenborg Center language assistantships are open to students in all fields who are native speakers of French, Spanish, German, Russian, or Chinese. Assistants live in Oldenborg, a coeducational residence hall for students of modern languages and international relations, and cooperate with the center director and language faculty to carry out the center’s program.  A stipend is paid to the assistant. International students and others interested should write to the Director of Oldenborg Center, Pomona College, 350 College Way, Claremont, CA 91711-6334.

At Pitzer College, hall director positions are available to part-time graduate students and/or spouses of full-time graduate students. The hall director is housed in an apartment and  paid a stipend. Room and board is provided for the hall director and spouse. Additional details are available from the Dean of Students, Pitzer College, Scott 128, 1050 N. Mills Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711-6110.

An interview may be required for all residence hall positions For some positions, you  must take a reduced load of coursework.

Additional Financing Information

Bureau of Indian Affairs. Students who are certified by a tribal agency to be at least 1/8 American Indian may be eligible for a grant from the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) and/or their tribal agency. Information and applications are available from the BIA and the specific tribal agency.

Veterans’ Education Benefits. CGU is an approved institution for veterans’ education benefits. Veterans entitled to benefits must initiate procedures by contacting the Financial Aid office prior to the date of intended enrollment. All transfer credit is evaluated prior to certification. Information is available in the Registrar’s Office.

Outside Scholarships. Many private groups offer scholarships and grants for graduate students.  Information is available on the financial aid website.