2019-2020 Bulletin 
    Jul 29, 2021  
2019-2020 Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Musicology, PhD

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees & Certificates

Students accepted into the doctoral program in Music are expected to attend the program’s concerts, lectures, and symposia.  In addition, students are encouraged to take part in the performance groups of The Claremont Colleges.

Degree Requirements

Coursework.  A minimum of 72 units are required for the degree.

  • Core Courses: MUS 301a,b MUS 302, and MUS 303 (16 units)
  • Coursework outlined for the Master’s degree in Music  
  • Two Era courses, from MUS 401-406 (8 units)
  • Electives
  • Interdisciplinary courses (8 units)

Language Requirement. Depending upon the program of study and research interest, reading proficiency in two languages is required. Languages may include French, German, Italian, or Latin. Successful completion of the language requirement is required prior to scheduling of written and oral qualifying examinations.

Qualifying Examinations.  Exam are administered once every semester. All students are required to pass written and oral qualifying examinations. In the event of initial failure, students have a second opportunity to take the exams during the next semester in which they are enrolled.

Advancement to Candidacy. After having passed the qualifying exams, the student presents a copy of the proposal for the dissertation to each member of the committee for approval. For additional information, see the Academic Policies - Doctoral Degree Regulations  section of the Bulletin.

Dissertation.  A dissertation is required.  Policies and guidelines are provided in the Academic Policies - Doctoral Degree Regulations  section of the Bulletin.

Recitals and Projects.  All recitals and projects must be approved by the program faculty.  Unless program approval has been given, students must be enrolled in individual lessons during the semester in which a recital is presented.

Transfer Credit. The University’s policy on transfer credit  applies.  Credit for transfer work should be requested during the student’s first semester in the program.  A maximum of 24 units may be accepted. Students who receive a Master’s degree in music from CGU may transfer up to 30 units.

University Policies.  University policies detailed in the Academic Policies  section of the Bulletin apply.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Degrees & Certificates