2012-2013 Bulletin 
    Mar 18, 2018  
2012-2013 Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Registration and Degree Information

The policies and procedures in this Bulletin constitute requirements for all CGU students as of the archived year.  New policies and procedures may be approved and implemented following the publication of this Bulletin.  Students beginning a degree program are expected to meet the requirements documented in the archived Bulletin for the year during which enter a program. Student Handbooks, available from some programs, may be more strict than policies stated in the Bulletin, but not less stringent.

Students are expected to make satisfactory progress (see Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) ) toward their degrees, as determined by University policy and the policies of their respective programs.

Enrollment and Registration

Registration information and course schedules for each semester are published on the CGU website (www.cgu.edu/registrar) prior to the start of the registration period. Continuing students register for courses for the upcoming semester during the registration period announced by the Registrar’s Office and published at www.cgu.edu/registrar. All tuition and fees must be paid or payment arrangements made prior to the start of the term. New students obtain registration information through their academic departments prior to the beginning of their first semester of coursework.

Registration Deadlines

The registration and enrollment process at Claremont Graduate University is managed through a number of deadlines to comply with various federal regulations and institutional academic practice.  These deadlines, announced in the academic calendar, govern the applicability and financial consequences of changes to student study lists–that is, to the courses in which a student is enrolled.  Failure to comply with registration deadlines may result in late fees and other penalties.  In addition, failure to register by the announced deadline may result in an interruption of student services and library privileges.

In order to enroll in courses, students must clear any outstanding obligations and holds on their student accounts.  Impediments to eligibility for registration include financial obligations to the University, unmet academic and admissions requirements, unsatisfactory academic progress, and exceeded time to degree.  To avoid lates fees and other penalties, students are responsible for addressing all impediments to registration before the registration deadline.

Continuous Enrollment and Student Status

Students are required to maintain a student status with the University throughout their academic careers, up to and including their graduation semesters.  To maintain student status, students must be enrolled on a continual basis through the fall and spring semesters.  Summer is an optional semester; enrollment during the summer term is not required to maintain student status.  Students who are unable to enroll for any semester for any reason should request a leave of absence to maintain their student status.

Full-time status is equivalent to at least 8 units of study in a given semester and up to 16 units depending upon requirements of the academic program in which the student is enrolled. Students who have completed their coursework requirements and who are enrolled in Continuous Registration (masters students) or Doctoral Study (doctoral students) are considered full-time students. Details about Continuous Registration and Doctoral Study are described later in this section.

Auditing a Course

Students may audit courses with the permission of the instructor of the course.  Fees for auditing courses are disclosed in the Tuition & Fees schedule published by Student Accounts (www.cgu.edu/studentaccounts).

To audit courses without additional fees, students must be registered for the semester and enrolled in at least 12 units.  Art students must be enrolled in at least 15 units.  Continuing students who are not enrolled in a unit-earning course must be registered for Continuous Registration or Doctoral Study in order to audit one class free of charge.

Executive management courses are not offered on an audit basis.

Course Changes (Add /Drop)

After the registration period closes, students may still make changes to their course schedules through the last day of the semester.  A number of Add/Drop deadlines specify the percentage of refund that may be due for dropping courses.  The last Add/Drop deadline identifies the date after which dropping courses are ineligible for a refund and receive a W (Withdrawn) notation on the student’s transcript.  Changes made after the last Add/Drop deadline announced in the academic calendar may incur enrollment change fees. 

All changes to student enrollment records must be made within the semester that the course is offered.  Requests for changes are not accepted after the last business day (Friday) of the semester.

Students make changes to their schedules either through the student portal or by submission of a Change In Registration (Add/Drop) Form to the Registrar’s Office or their academic departments. Forms and procedures are available on the registrar’s website (www.cgu.edu/registrar).

Students are responsible for any additional tuition charges that may result from adding courses. If dropping a course results in lower tuition charges, refunds are made in accordance with the University’s refund policy (see Expenses and Financial Aid  or www.cgu.edu/studentaccounts). Students are advised to consider the impact that adding or dropping units may have on financial aid eligibility or on immigration status and are urged to consult with the appropriate university administrators prior to making any changes.

Program Changes

Changes to a student’s degree program, field, or concentration must be approved by the student’s faculty advisor and the dean of the school using the appropriate Change of Degree or Field Form.  Changes to a new academic field or discipline should be submitted as a new admissions application.  Upon approval, changes become effective at the beginning of the next semester.

Term-Based Transactions

Term-based transactions include all activities that affect the student’s record and account within a given semester. Consequently, all registrations, changes to enrollment in courses, payment and/or payment arrangements must be made prior to the end of the term for which the transactions apply. No changes may be made after the last day of the semester.

For International Students

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) requires that all international students on a J-1 or F-1 visa be enrolled full time (8 units minimum) during both fall and spring semesters. Before making any enrollment changes, international students should consult the international student coordinator.  In addition, international students who receive Incomplete (I) grades in courses or who do not receive a grade for a course may be subject to academic probation for immigration purposes.  Consult the international student coordinator immediately for guidance if these situations occur.

International students enrolled at CGU on F-1 and J-1 visas are responsible for adhering to ICE requirements under the Student Exchange and Visitor Information Systems (SEVIS) Program. For specific requirements and documentation, refer to the CGU website at www.cgu.edu/international.

Withdrawal From Courses

If unable to complete a semester of studies, a student has a number of options and should consult with the registrar’s office, the student’s advisor, or a program coordinator before taking any action.  A leave of absence (discussed in the next section) should be considered where circumstances warrant a temporary period away from studies.  Students are encouraged to use appropriate University processes when a withdrawal is unavoidable.  Tuition refunds as a result of withdrawal from the University are governed by Add/Drop policies.  Students who withdraw and wish to resume studies at a later date may need to apply for readmission.

An alternative to withdrawing from all courses, tutorials, seminars, and research during a given semester may be enrollment through Continuous Registration (masters students) or Doctoral Study (doctoral students), whichever is appropriate.  These types of registrations maintain student status and permit the student to return to coursework in a subsequent semester.

Unless a leave of absence is granted, students who withdraw from one or more courses are assessed the applicable fees according to Add/Drop deadlines and the Refund Schedule established by Student Accounts (www.cgu.edu/studentaccounts).  Late change fees and the W (Withdrawn) enrollment notation on the student’s transcript may also apply.

Students are advised to consult with financial aid and student accounts representatives to determine the financial implications of any withdrawal activity before proceeding.

Leaves of Absence

The University grants leaves of absence to students for military service, family leave or other personal situations, medical disability, and financial hardship.  Leaves of absence are granted for one semester and are not automatically renewed.  Students are limited to two consecutive semesters on leave of absence.  If a student will be away from studies for a year or longer, withdrawal from the University is recommended.  When ready to resume studies, the student may apply for readmission.

A leave of absence is a student’s time away from studies.  Students are not expected to engage in coursework while on a leave of absence.  Collaboration with faculty, working on Incomplete grades, use of University facilities, and access to student services are not available to students on a leave of absence.  Students who wish to continue library services must request for and pay the CGU Student Fee and Technology Fee.  For the period of an approved leave, the student is exempt from payment of Continuous Registration or Doctoral Study fees.

For leaves granted due to medical disability, military service, and family or financial hardship, the student’s time limit for completion of degree requirements is automatically extended for the period of the approve leave.

A Leave of Absence Request Form (available from www.cgu.edu/registrar) along with the appropriate documentation to support the request must be submitted to the registrar during the registration period of the applicable semester or no later than the last business day of the semester.  If a leave is requested after the start of a semester, only those courses for which no grade has been recorded may be dropped.

Before submitting a leave of absence request, students are advised to consult with a financial aid representative regarding any financial consequences that may result from taking a leave of absence.  International students must consult with the international student coordinator when anticipating the need for a leave of absence since serious immigration consequences may result.

Research Leave of Absence

In exceptional circumstances, the University may approve a leave of absence of up to one year for full-time research or other activities directly related to the student’s academic program. Research leaves are requested in the same manner as other leaves of absence but require the approval of the provost. Supporting documentation includes the written recommendation of the student’s major advisor and approval from the dean of the school. During such leaves, the student is exempt from paying Continuous Registration or Doctoral Study fees to maintain student status. Research leaves do not affect the time limit for the completion of degree requirements.

Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence

It is the policy of Claremont Graduate University that if any student, because of an apparent medical or psychological condition, poses a threat to the physical well-being of him/herself or to any other member of the University or the Claremont Colleges community, or poses a threat of serious destruction to property, such student may be placed on an involuntary medical leave of absence. This policy applies to medical and psychological problems only, and not to matters solely of a disciplinary nature. A copy of the procedures for implementation of this policy may be obtained from the dean of students.

Withdrawal from CGU

Withdrawal from the University occurs for a number of reasons.

Students are withdrawn from the University for failure to maintain student status.  Students who do not register by the registration deadline or who do not register by the first Add/Drop deadline (the end of the first two weeks of the fall or spring semester), are automatically withdrawn from CGU.  Students who are withdrawn due to lack of enrollment and who do not register by the end of the semester in which they were withdrawn must apply for readmission when ready to resume studies.

Students may also withdraw themselves from CGU using the Change in Registration (Add/Drop) Form or by writing to the registrar or the student’s department.  Students who wish to return to CGU at a later date should specify their desires in their statement of withdrawal.  Withdrawals after a semester has begun are governed by Add/Drop policies in regards to tuition refunds and impact on the student’s academic record.  Withdrawal from CGU is noted on the student’s transcript.

Students are cautioned against unintentionally withdrawing themselves during the online registration process.  Registration for at least one class should be made before the registration deadline to ensure continuity of student status and student services.  When enrollment transactions are submitted through the student portal, classes should be added before any classes are dropped.  Students who drop all of their courses are automatically withdrawn by the registration system, resulting in an inability to access the online enrollment system.  Consult the registrar’s office for assistance in these situations. 

Students who withdraw from CGU should consult with a financial aid representative to determine any financial consequences that may result from withdrawal. International students must consult with the international student coordinator before attempting to withdraw since there may be serious immigration consequences as a result of withdrawal.

All students working with faculty to fulfill degree requirements must be registered and maintain continuous student status.


Students who have not maintained a continuous student status and wish to resume their studiesat CGU must apply for readmission.  Students whose last semester of enrollment is within five years may use the Application for Readmission form available from the registrar’s website (www.cgu.edu/registrar).  Students whose last semester of enrollment is five or more years must apply again through Admissions.  Students who wish to return to a CGU to a different program than the one in which they were last enrolled must submit a new application to Admissions.

Students who have outstanding obligations to CGU or who were previously dismissed from the University are ineligible for readmission.  All readmission decisions are made in collaboration with the student’s department.

Readmission to a program after an absence of one or more years requires reevaluation of the student’s academic work toward the degree.  At the discretion of the academic program, the readmitted student may be required to repeat or enroll in additional courses to ensure relevance of the degree when it is granted.

The Readmission Request form requires a statement from the returning student demonstrating the student’s intention and commitment to persevere toward completion of the degree.  A degree plan or outline of dates and goals may be required to establish new time to degree standards.  A nonrefundable readmission fee (see www.cgu.edu/studentaccounts) is required at the time of application.

Questions about readmission and submission of the application are directed to the registrar’s office.

Student Enrollment Status Verification and Loan Deferment

For loan eligibility and deferment purposes, a student registered for at least 8 units is considered to be a full-time student.  A student registered for at least 4 units is considered to be a half-time student. Verification of a student’s enrollment status for third parties, including lenders, employers, and other organizations, is provided by the National Student Clearinghouse, an agent for the University. Information and procedures on requesting verifications of enrollment are provided at www.cgu.edu/verify

Doctoral students registered in Doctoal Study and master’s students enrolled in Continuous Registration are considered full-time students.  Full-time enrollment through Continuous Registration or Doctoral Study are limited by time to degree standards and applicable financial aid regulations.

Students registered in the Teacher Education Internship Program are considered full-time for purposes of loan eligibility and deferment while taking a minimum of four units of coursework in the fall or spring along with the teaching internship.

Deferments, or extended grace periods before the repayment period for loans begins, are subject to financial aid regulations.  Students should note that the initial grace period for repayment of student loans is determined by the last semester of the student’s enrollment, not by the date of graduation. 

Degree Regulations

Students are responsible for all of the degree requirements outlined in this section and for any other requirements disclosed in the student’s academic program section of this Bulletin.

Grading System

Claremont Graduate University recognizes the responsibilities of both faculty and students to ensure that course work is evaluated and submitted in a timely manner so that transcripts accurately reflect the historical chronology of student achievement at CGU.

Students receive a grade point average (GPA) for all work completed at CGU.  A single GPA is earned and determined from all courses taken at CGU regardless of the student’s programs, enrollment, or enrollment status.

CGU uses a 4.0 scale for determining grade point average as follows.

A+ 4.0   C+ 2.3   I N/A
A 4.0   C 2.0   W N/A
A- 3.7   C- 1.7   Y N/A
B+ 3.3            
B 3.0   S N/A   AU N/A
B- 2.7   U 0.0   GP N/A

 Grading notations are explained as follows. 

I Incomplete.  Temporary grade.  At the instructor’s discretion, an Incomplete may be given in any course for which the student has not completed the required work by the end of the semester, but the instructor feels the student can satisfactorily complete within a reasonable time period.  See the section on Incompletes.
S Satisfactory.  For satisfactory work.  Recommended for reading, research, and independent study courses.  This grade is not factored into the student’s GPA.  For transfer credit purposes, an S grade may be considered equivalent to a B.
U Unsatisfactory.  For unsatisfactory work in any course.  A course for which a U is assigned does not fulfill academic, degree, or residency requirements.  For GPA calculations, the factored point value is 0.
W Withdrawal.  The withdrawal designation indicates a student’s withdrawal from a class after the last date to drop classes in the semester.
Y Unreported Evaluation.  This permanent grade replaces the GP designation when an instructor fails to report a grade for student performance in a course.  This grade is also assigned if the instructor fails to report a grade for any course by the semester deadline for submission of grades.  This grade is not factored into the student’s GPA.  A course for which a Y is assigned does not fulfill academic, degree, or residency requirements.
AU Audit.  Successful completion of an audit.
GP Grade Pending.  Temporary grade.  At the instructor’s discretion, a GP may be assigned to allow more time for evaluation of student work.  When no grade is assigned in the term following the semester in which the course was originally taken, the grade becomes a Y (Unreported Evaluation).  This grade is not factored into the student’s GPA.  See the section on Pending and Missing Grades.



An instructor may assign an Incomplete (I) grade when a student fails to complete the assigned coursework within the semester that the course is offered and the instructor determines that the student’s work to date is satisfactory.  The instructor defines outstanding coursework to be submitted for evalutaion and issuance of a permanent grade.  Only the instructor of record may evaluate and issue a new grade.  CGU requires that a new grade must be submitted by the instructor within one year of the original due date of the grade.  If no new grade is submitted, the Incomplete grade defaults to U (Unsatisfactory).

Instructors may set a shorter period for the submission of outstanding work and may identify a different default grade based upon the student’s work at the end of the original course.  To do so, the instructor and the student must complete an Incomplete Grade and Student Contract for Course Completion form.  The form, which is filed with the registrar, documents all of the following items.

  • A deadline for submitting outstanding work on the course.  This deadline may not exceed one calendar year from the date a grade for the course was originally due.  
  • An alternate grade.  The instructor may, but is not required to, document on the form the grade that the student would have received based upon actual work submitted during the semester the course was held.
  • Details of the outstanding work to be submitted by the student.

If needed, the student may request one extension of the deadline to submit work on an Incomplete grade.  A  Request for Extension of Incomplete (available at www.cgu.edu/registrar/) must be submitted to the registrar.  Courses for which a permanent grade (grades other than I and GP) has already been assigned may not be changed to Incomplete.

If the Incomplete is not replaced by another grade within the specified time, the Incomplete is replaced by the alternate grade identified by the instructor on the Incomplete Grade and Student Contract for Course Completion form.  If no alternate grade is identified, the grade defaults to U (Unsatisfactory).

Prior to Summer 2010, the default for Incomplete grades was PI (Permanent Incomplete).  The PI is a permanent grade and may only be changed by the instructor of record.  A Grade Change Submission/Petition must be completed by the instructor of record and submitted to the registrar after obtaining approval of the dean.  Courses for which a student has received a PI do not count toward a student’s academic, degree, or residency requirements.  These courses may be repeated, requiring subsequent enrollment and the payment of additional tuition.

Pending and Missing Grades

Faculty are required to submit grades for each student enrolled in a course or academic activity within the timeframe established by and published in the academic calendar.  In exceptional circumstances, instructors may issue an I (Incomplete) or GP (Grade Pending) notation.

The GP is used when the student has completed the course work, but the instructor is unable to submit a grade before the semester’s deadline.  A final grade must be submitted before the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) review is conducted during the following semester or the grade is replaced by a Y (Unreported Evaluation) grade.  The Y designates the failure of the instructor to report a grade.  The student’s GPA is not penalized, but neither can the course be used to fulfill academic, degree, or residency requirements.

Except for unusual and extenuating circumstances, the Y grade is assigned when the instructor fails to report any grade by the semester deadline for grade submission.  This policy does not apply to non-graded courses or courses, such as Continuous Registration or Doctoral Study, for which no grade is required.

Requests to change a Y grade are governed by the policy on Grade Changes. 

Grade Changes

Changes to grades should be rare, except in the case of replacing an I (Incomplete) or GP (Grade Pending).  Faculty may submit changes to student grades using the Grade Change Submission/Petition.  The approval of the dean of the program or school is required on all requests to change grades, except for changes to I and GP.

Grade changes from permanent grades (the letter grades and S/U) to temporary grades (I and GP) are not permitted.

All grade changes, except for changes from I and GP, are noted on the transcript with the specific date of the grade change and the original grade assigned. 

Extensions of Time for Completion of Degree

In compliance with federal regulations for financial aid, the University defines a period of time in which a student is expected to complete a graduate program.  When that period of time expires, a student is prevented from registering for additional semesters unless a request is made to and approved by the student’s program.

The normal time limit for completion of a master’s degree is five years from the date of initial enrollment. Six years are permitted for the MBA and the EMBA. For doctoral programs, the anticipated time commitment is seven years. These limits may vary based upon the program, approved leaves of absence, and any transfer credit that may be accepted. Transfer credit affects the time limit for doctoral students only.

Students who find it necessary to exceed these time limits must request an extension of time to continue their degree programs.  Students must complete the Request for Extension of Time to Degree form (available at www.cgu.edu/registrar/) and secure the approval of the faculty advisor and the dean of the school. The academic department submits the signed form to the registrar for processing.

The first extension is granted for a period of up to one year for students enrolled in a masters program and up to two years for students enrolled in a doctoral program (except for psychology students). Subsequent extensions are granted for a period of one year.

Students who have requested three or more extensions are subject to an intensive reevaluation of their progress to degree.  At the discretion of the program, additional coursework and/or degree requirements may be assigned to ensure the relevancy of the degree when it is earned.

Extensions of time to degree have implications for financial aid and may be restricted for international students due to immigration requirements.  As applicable, students requiring additional time to degree should consult a financial aid representative or the international student coordinator.

Standards of Academic Honesty

Students at Claremont Graduate University are expected to adhere to the highest standards of academic honesty in the performance of all academic work. Students are subject to disciplinary action for any form of academic dishonesty, including but not limited to cheating, plagiarism, forgery, and the use of materials prepared by another (whether published or not, including commercially prepared materials) without appropriately crediting the source. The University follows procedures that provide the student with safeguards appropriate to the nature of the alleged violation and the potential penalty. Disciplinary sanctions include an official warning, failure of assignments or an entire course, and expulsion from Claremont Graduate University. A description of procedures is available in the Academic Honesty  section and on the webpage of the dean of students.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The general requirements for satisfactory academic progress can be found in the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)  section.

Use of Computer Resources

The University expects all students to adhere to policies and procedures governing the use of computer and electronic-based information resources. Copies of student user rights and obligations are available in the institutional handbook on the CGU web page (www.cgu.edu/handbook). Users are responsible for becoming familiar with these conditions.


Courses offered by Claremont Graduate University, and selectively by the five undergraduate Claremont Colleges (5C), Keck Graduate Institute, and the Claremont School of Theology, are open to graduate students.  Per established agreement between the schools, the permission of course instructors, and sometimes the offering department, is required.  All cross-registration, referring to enrollment at of these other Claremont institutions, must be made through the registrar’s office.  The review and approval of the student’s academic department is required for the awarding of graduate credit.

Cross-registration procedures and forms are available on the registrar’s website (www.cgu.edu/registrar/).

Independent Study

In addition to general courses, Claremont Graduate University offers opportunities for independent study and individualized instruction on a wide range of topics through the following types of courses.

  • 397 - Tutorial Reading (Master’s level)
  • 398 - Independent Study (Master’s level)
  • 399 - Master’s Thesis Research
  • 495 - Doctoral Research
  • 497 - Tutorial Reading (Doctorate level)
  • 498 - Independent Research/Doctoral Research

These types of courses are commonly referred to as independent study courses or activities.  Students enroll in an independent study activity by completing an Enrollment Contract and Registration Form for Independent Study Coursework (available at www.cgu.edu/registrar/).  To avoid late registration penalties, the completed and approved form must be filed with the registrar’s office prior to the Add/Drop deadline for the applicable semester.

Complete instructions for enrolling in independent study activities are available at www.cgu.edu/registrar.

Advancement to Candidacy for a Degree

Admission to the University and the passing of coursework do not automatically advance a student to candidacy for a degree or guarantee institutional recommendation for teaching or administrative credentials. Policies regarding advancement to candidacy are detailed below and in the individual academic program sections.

Completion of Degree Requirements

All students must be registered during the semester in which they intend to receive a degree or certificate. The student must submit the Intent to Receive a Degree/Certificate form and the Degree Completion Survey (both available at www.cgu.edu/registrar) to the registrar’s office by the semester deadline for submission of Intents announced in the academic calendar.  Additionally, the student must meet the degree requirements deadline for the completion of degree requirements and the submission of substantiating documentation to the registrar’s office in order for the degree to be granted.

The Intent form is valid only for the semester in which it was originally filed.  In the event that a student does not meet all of the degree deadlines within the intended semester, a new Intent form must be submitted for the next semester in which the student expects to graduate.  If all academic and institutional degree requirements, including the removal of outstanding Incomplete grades, are accomplished prior to the first day of classes for that next semester, the student’s department may request by academic petition that the student not be required to register in the graduation semester.


A student requesting an exception to any degree requirement must submit an Academic Petition (available at www.cgu.edu/registrar) to the registrar’s office.  Supporting documents, along with the endorsement of the student’s faculty advisor and approval of the dean of the school, must accompany the petition.

Master’s Degrees

Master of Arts Degree

Claremont Graduate University accepts candidates for the degree of Master of Arts in the fields listed below.

Applied Women’s Studies
Arts and Cultural Management
Cultural Studies
History and Archival Studies
International Political Economy
International Studies
Islamic Studies
Literature and Creative Writing

Literature and Film


Political Economy
Politics, Economics, and Business

Public Policy
Public Policy and Evaluation

Religion and American Politics
Women’s Studies in Religion

Master of Science Degrees

Claremont Graduate University offers the degree of Master of Science in the following fields.

Advanced Management
Financial Engineering
Health Information Management

Human Resources Design
Information Systems and Technology

Other Master’s Degrees

Claremont Graduate University also offers the following master’s degrees.

Executive Master of Business Administration
Master of Business Administration
Master of Fine Arts
Master of Philosophy in English

Master of Public Health

Unit Requirement. Completion of the master’s degree requires a minimum of 30 units of graduate credit. Refer to the  academic program sections in this Bulletin to confirm the number of units required for specific programs. A student whose program includes a thesis or critique may, on faculty recommendation, receive a maximum of 6 units of credit for thesis research. Four units of credit may be awarded for writing a critique.

Transfer of Credit. Credit may be transferred toward a master’s degree under the same general conditions as those governing transfers for the PhD. No more than 15 semester units, or the equivalent, may be transferred into master’s programs requiring 60 units; no more than 10 into those requiring 48 units; and no more than 6 into those programs requiring fewer than 48 units. In all cases, students should inquire about the requirements and evaluation procedures for their program of enrollment. Further information, procedures, and the Transfer of Credit form, are available at www.cgu.edu/registrar/.

Residence and Time Requirement/Limit. All requirements for the master’s degree must be completed within five calendar years of the student’s initial enrollment at Claremont Graduate University.  The allotted time is increased to six years for the MBA and EMBA programs. The student must be enrolled continuously, either for credit or through Continuous Registration, until the degree is earned. See the Degree Regulations section regarding petitions for extension of time to degree.

Continuous Registration. Master’s degree students are required to maintain continuous registration until all requirements for the degree have been met, including, if applicable, approval of a thesis or critique. Students who have completed at least one semester in their programs and who are not enrolled in coursework or thesis research are required to register for Continuous Registration (400M). Students who do not maintain a continuous student status with the University may be required to apply for readmission to resume studies and/or to graduate.  Please refer to the Readmission section for procedures.

Qualifying Examinations. The faculty of a particular field may require a written qualifying examination in addition to or in place of the thesis or critique. Students should consult the specific academic program section of this Bulletin for requirements.

Thesis or Critique. Theses and critiques are required only in certain fields.  These documents afford evidence of the candidate’s ability to analyze and evaluate materials as well as to write clearly. A thesis involves the careful design and execution of a research problem. A critique may involve a research problem, may present a critical analysis and evaluation of the literature on a particular subject, or may describe and evaluate a project. A thesis or critique may be prepared either in conjunction with one or more courses, or independently under the guidance of the student’s advisor. Theses or critiques must be read and approved per specific program requirements.

Thesis or Critique Registration. The catalog number assigned for Thesis Research is 399. Using the enrollment form for independent study activities, students may register for a maximum of 6 units of credit for thesis research and 4 units of credit for the critique with faculty approval. A grade is not assigned until the thesis or critique is completed.

Final Oral Examination. Students submitting a thesis or critique may be required to defend their manuscripts in an oral examination. This examination may also include questions on the candidate’s general field of concentration. The committee conducting the examination normally includes the candidate’s advisor and one or more CGU faculty members with whom the candidate has taken graduate work.  In certain fields, a thesis examiner who is not a member of the University faculty, may be invited to participate in the examination.

Final Copies of Theses and Critiques. Masters candidates are provided an opportunity to publish their theses using the ProQuest/UMI electronic gateway.  Electronic submissions expedite publication and avoid publication and binding costs.  Submission guidelines are provided in the Dissertation/Thesis Procedures for Students, available from the registrar’s web page at www.cgu.edu/registrar/.  The same procedures provides information on hard copy submissions, if electronic processing is not possible.  For hard copy submissions, fees that are waived for electronic submissions become necessary.

Manuscripts and any applicable fees are due to the registrar’s office by the degree completion deadline announced in the academic calendar.  Manuscripts are not released for publication until the registrar’s office has received a Final Approval Form from the department.

Final Approval.Final Approval Form must be completed by the student and the student’s program.  This form is submitted to the registrar’s office to verify completion of all degree requirements and the student’s eligibility for graduation.

The deadline date for completion of all degree requirements is announced in the Academic Calendar.

Master’s Degree Along the Way to the PhD. Doctoral  students may only qualify for a master’s degree while pursuing a PhD if the two degrees are in the same field and if none of the units earned in the PhD are counted toward or shared with any other degree at CGU. Upon completion of requirements for the master’s degree, the student must submit all of the necessary paperwork (Intent form, etc.) to the registrar’s office by the deadline dates in order to qualify for graduation in the specific semester.

Once a student has earned a master’s degree in the same field as the PhD, none of the units accomplished for those two degrees may be applied to or counted toward a subsequent degree.

California State Teacher Credentials. A program of study is offered by the Education faculty to prepare prospective teachers to meet certification requirements for teaching in California public schools. The program, based upon the concept of internship, provides alternative means of achieving certification and prepares students to teach at the elementary and secondary levels. Admission to the program is intended for either the beginning of the spring or summer semesters. Applicants must meet the education faculty’s requirements for admission to the M.A. program.

Prospective teachers who are admitted to this program combine academic study with an intensive observation-participation program in cooperating school districts. In September, the intern begins full-time teaching at full salary under the supervision of a CGU advisor. A teacher placement specialist is available to assist students in obtaining full-time teaching internship positions. Upon successful completion of the program, the student should have met all requirements for the California Clear Teaching Credential. The master’s degree is earned by completing additional coursework.

Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree Programs at The Claremont Colleges. (B.A./M.A.) Claremont Graduate University offers qualified undergraduate students at The Claremont Colleges the opportunity to work simultaneously toward the completion of their undergraduate degree requirements and a master’s degree in selected academic fields. Applicants must be recommended by their respective college faculty and should apply to the program during their junior year. Undergraduate students should consult their advisors and the University as early as possible to plan their academic programs. For additional information, contact the academic department. Units accepted must be graded B or better.

Program of Study at CGU   Units accepted
   Applied Women’s Studies
Cultural Studies
Financial Engineering
Information Systems and Technology
Politics & Policy
Teacher Education (300G course)
     Up to 8 units
Up to 12 units
Up to 12 units
Up to 8 units
Up to 16 units
Up to 16 units
Up to 12 units
Up to 12 units
Up to 16 units
Up to 12 units
Up to 16 units
Up to 16 units
Up to 8 units
Up to 8 units
Up to 4 units

Doctoral Degrees

Admission to doctoral programs at Claremont Graduate University requires formal application and subsequent approval by the field faculty and the dean of the school. This requirement extends to students completing a master’s degree at CGU.  (See section on Program Changes for procedures.)

Doctor of Church Music Degree

The Doctor of Church Music combines excellence in church music performance with a theological background. The degree requirements are generally those of the PhD with exceptions noted in the program section for Music.

Doctor of Musical Arts Degree

The Doctor of Musical Arts degree indicates significant achievement in performance or composition. In general, the degree requirements are the same as those given for the PhD, with specific exceptions as noted in the program section for Music.

Doctor of Philosophy Degree

Claremont Graduate University accepts candidates for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the following fields.

Computational Science
Computational and Systems Biology
Cultural Studies
Engineering and Industrial Applied Mathematics
Financial Engineering
Information Systems and Technology
Political Science

Unit and Tuition Requirements. Doctoral students are expected to complete their programs in a period of seven years. During this time, students must earn a minimum of 72 units of coursework, independent study, and research.

Transdisciplinary Course (T-Course) Requirement. Doctoral students who began their programs in the fall 2004 semester or later are required to complete a Transdisciplinary (T-) Course, during their second year of coursework. This course is an advanced, intensive experience that prepares doctoral students for high-level discourse, research, and inquiry while providing practical experience working with colleagues in different fields. The course counts for 4 of the 72 units toward the student’s degree. The T-course requirement does not add additional units to the student’s degree requirements.  Neither does the T-course count against the total number of transfer units from previous graduate coursework.

Exceptions. The T-course requirement does not apply to students enrolled in the following programs: PhD in Botany; Joint PhD with CSU Long Beach; Joint PhD with San Diego State University; and the PhD in Computational and Systems Biology.

Time Requirement/Limit. All degree requirements must be completed within seven years from the time a student begins graduate study at Claremont Graduate University. The seven-year maximum time period for the PhD degree is reduced by six months for 12 units or less of transfer credit and by twelve months for 13 to 24 units of transfer credit.

Residence Requirement. The residence requirement for the doctoral degree may be met by either two semesters of full-time study in a 2-year period or by the completion of 48 units of coursework within a 3-year period, including work in the summer sessions.

Students who receive transfer credit of 12 units or less may meet the residence requirement either by completing two full-time semesters of coursework within a 2-year period or by completing 36 units within a 2 1/2-year period. Those receiving transfer credit of 13 to 24 units may meet the residence requirement by completing 24 units within a 2-year period.

Students who are admitted to a PhD program at Claremont Graduate University after completing a master’s degree at CGU are subject to the same regulations on time to degree and residency as students who enter CGU after completing a master’s degree at another institution. Units earned in a master’s program at CGU normally count toward the unit requirement for a PhD degree in the same field. Because coursework requirements differ from field to field, and not all masters units may count toward PhD requirements, students entering a PhD program with a CGU master’s degree should consult their faculty advisors when planning their doctoral program.

Neither Dissertation Research (495) nor Doctoral Study (499) may be used to satisfy the residence requirement. Further, the student must be enrolled continuously, either for credit or for Doctoral Study, until the degree is earned.

Doctoral Study. Doctoral students who have completed at least one semester in their programs and who are not paying tuition for courses or research, must register for Doctoral Study (499) and pay the Doctoral Study fee each semester until all requirements for the degree have been completed. This applies equally to students not in residence. Students who do not register by the end of the second week of a given semester will be assumed to have withdrawn from their studies at Claremont Graduate University. (See sections on Withdrawal from CGU and Readmission.)

The following course numbers are used for doctoral research in all fields: Dissertation Research (495); Tutorial Reading (497); and Independent Research (498). With the exception of Dissertation Research (495), grades are due at the end of the semester in which the course was taken. Grades for Dissertation Research are not due until the dissertation is submitted and the oral defense has been passed. No grades are given and no units are awarded for Doctoral Study registration. For details about graduate courses, including undergraduate courses taken for graduate credit, see the paragraphs under Courses, earlier in this section.

Transfer of Credit. Certain coursework completed at other institutions may be accepted for credit at CGU. The work must have been completed with at least a grade of B at a graduate institution accredited by a regional accrediting body. Course work must be relevant to a student’s degree program and be of appropriate quality and currency. Units from a college or university outside the U.S. are transferable only if those units were not applied toward a bachelor’s degree equivalency.

No more than 24 semester units, or the equivalent, may be transferred into to CGU. The number of units accepted for transfer appear on the CGU transcript. Students, with the approval of their advisors and departments, request acceptance of transfer credit using the Transfer of Credit Request Form, available from the registrar’s website (www.cgu.edu/registrar).  The form, along with official transcripts documenting the coursework must be submitted to the registrar’s office.  Requests should specify the courses to be considered and identify any degree or certificate programs in which the courses were used.  In some cases, the general content of a particular program may justify transfer of the credit accrued in the completed program.  In all other cases, the request should include course descriptions from institutional catalogs or other supporting course materials (such as syllabi). Students should inquire with their academic programs about the requirements and evaluation procedures for transfer credit.

Research Tools. Reading proficiency in two approved foreign languages is normally required, except when the graduate faculty in a field accept substitutions. Substitutions may include statistics, mathematics, computer programming, and others in selected fields. For further details, students should consult the specific program sections.

Students who have fulfilled the research tool at another institution may petition their faculty to have the research requirements accepted by Claremont Graduate University.  An official transcript is required to substantiate that completion of the applicable course work occurred within the last three years. Entering students should petition their academic programs as soon as possible after acceptance.

Prerequisites for Qualifying Examinations. The following requirements must be met before a student is permitted to take the qualifying examinations.

(1) Full graduate standing must be attained.

(2) Requirements for research tools, outlined in the individual program sections, must be satisfied.

(3) The student must have completed not less than two years of full-time graduate study, or 48 units, including transfer credit. Courses in which the student has received an Incomplete grade do not qualify toward the 48 units needed for eligibility.

Qualifying Examinations. Students are expected to take qualifying examinations in sufficient time to allow for completion of degree requirements within seven years (including transfer credit).

When a student has completed all program requirements, the advisor and dean of the student’s program approve a committee to give the qualifying examinations. Upon successful completion of the exam(s), the committee records the results on the Qualifying Examinations form for submission to the registrar’s office. In the case of failure to pass either written or oral examinations, the student may be permitted, on the recommendation of the advisor and dean of the school concerned, to take a second examination after a stipulated period of time. This period must be no less than three months and no more than one calendar year after the first examination. If the results of the second examination are unsatisfactory, no further examinations are permitted, except upon recommendation of the graduate faculty in the field concerned and with the approval of the provost and vice provost for enrollment management and student services.

Advancement to Candidacy. Advancement to candidacy for the PhD degree takes place when the student’s dissertation proposal is approved. As soon as possible after completion of qualifying examinations, the student should request that a dissertation committee be appointed. (See the next section for dissertation committee policies.) The student presents a dissertation proposal for approval by the review committee.  Upon acceptance of the proposal and the student’s submission of a 350-word abstract of the proposal, an Advancement to Candidacy/Declaration of Review Committee form is approved by the dissertation committee and dean of the school.  The form is forwarded to the registrar’s office for processing.

Dissertation, Committee Membership, and Final Oral Examination. The dissertation must be completed within the seven-year period for completion of all doctoral degree requirements. (See the previous section on Time Requirement.)  When ready to defend their dissertations, students make all arrangements through their programs, including scheduling a date for the dissertation defense.

The dissertation defense, sometimes referred to as the final oral examination, centers on a defense of the dissertation and the relationship of the dissertation to the student’s general field of study. The deadline for the scheduling of final oral examinations is listed in the academic calendar.

Each dissertation committee consists of at least three members drawn from the core CGU faculty or The Claremont Colleges extended faculty on the condition that at least one committee member be a core CGU faculty member in the candidate’s school. Claremont Graduate University encourages the inclusion on each dissertation committee of an expert in the student’s field from outside The Claremont Colleges. There may be an outside examiner on a four-person committee, but not on a three-person committee. The outside examiner may be a faculty member from another institution or a qualified practitioner from the student’s field of study. The outside examiner has a vote in the committee’s proceedings only with the consent of the dean of the school. The chair of the candidate’s committee must be a member of the core CGU faculty or The Claremont Colleges extended faculty. All dissertation committees must be approved by the dean.  Exceptions for the make-up of a particular committee require the approval of the provost.

Using the Final Approval Form, available from the registrar’s website (www.cgu.edu/registrar/), the student’s successful defense and completion of all degree requirements are communicated to the registrar’s office.  The form requires signatures of all members of the dissertation review committee, the dissertation chair, and the dean.  Students may not graduate or receive their degrees until this form is filed in the registrar’s office.

If a student fails to successfully complete a dissertation defense, the student may be permitted, upon the recommendation of the graduate faculty in the field concerned, to take a second examination not less than three months and no more than one calendar year after the first examination.

Publication of the Dissertation. Upon completion of a successful dissertation defense and before a degree is awarded, the student must submit the final, approved dissertation to the registrar’s office.  Submission must be made by the degree completion deadline announced in the academic calendar.  Failure to meet the degree completion deadline may result in delays to the student’s degree conferral.

Electronic submissions are encouraged to expedite publication of the manuscript and to avoid publication and binding costs for the student. Student authors should create an author account at the ProQuest/UMI gateway provided to CGU students for this purpose. Submission guidelines are provided in the Dissertation/Thesis Procedures for Students, available at www.cgu.edu/registrar/

The student’s 350-word abstract is published in Dissertation Abstracts. Unless a student author specifies an embargo, dissertations are widely available through electronic library resources.  If desired, hard copies of dissertations may be ordered through the ProQuest/UMI gateway.

If electronic submissions are not possible, paper dissertations may be submitted to the Registrar’s Office following the procedures outlined on the registrar’s web page at www.cgu.edu/registrar/.  Note that publication and binding fees, waived for electronic submissions, are required for paper submissions.  Paper submissions must also be made no later than the degree completion deadline announced in the academic calendar.

Joint Doctoral Programs

Joint PhD Program with California State University, Long Beach. Claremont Graduate University cooperates with California State University, Long Beach, in offering the joint PhD program in Engineering and Industrial Applied Mathematics. See the Mathematics  section for further information.

Joint PhD Program in Computational and Systems Biology. Claremont Graduate University cooperates with Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences in offering the joint PhD in Computational and Systems Biology. See the Mathematics  section for further information.

Joint PhD Program in Computational Science with San Diego State University. Claremont Graduate University cooperates with San Diego State University in offering the joint PhD In Computational Science. See the Mathematics  section for further information.

Joint PhD Program in Education with San Diego State University. Claremont Graduate University cooperates with San Diego State University in offering a program that addresses the challenges of educating a multicultural society. See the Education  section for further information.

Dual Degree Policies. Dual degree policies, procedures, and approval forms are available from the registrar’s website (www.cgu.edu/registrar).

Students interested in pursuing a dual degree program must submit a signed, approved Change of Degree or Field Form to the Registrar’s Office.  Although not required, change requests should be submitted prior to completion of a student’s first 16 units at CGU. Dual degree programs require the approval of the faculty and deans of the both schools and departments.

The maximum number of units from previous graduate coursework that may be transferred into a CGU dual degree program is 12 semester units for students pursuing a master’s/PhD program. No units may be transferred into dual master’s programs.

A student is considered dual degree for the duration of their program–that is, until both programs are completed. Students in the master’s/doctoral dual degree program may not receive a second master’s degree in the doctoral field. Students may not apply any units earned in dual degrees to any subsequent degrees.

International students wishing to pursue a dual degree should be aware that to comply with federal regulations, neither degree may be awarded until the requirements for both degrees have been fulfilled.

Students may pursue existing formal dual degree programs or design an individual program to meet their academic and professional goals, subject to the approval of both schools and the Academic Standards Committee. To ensure compliance with CGU policies and procedures regarding dual degrees, students should work closely with both of the academic departments involved.

Interfield degree. An interfield degree program allows a student to complete one doctoral degree with a program of study that combines work in two academic fields. Students wishing to be considered for an interfield degree must formally apply for admission to both departments of intended study.

The student, in collaboration with faculty advisors of both fields, must draw up a detailed program proposal. New students admitted to an interfield degree must complete the proposal within the first year of work in the interfield program. Continuing students wishing to change to an interfield degree must submit the proposal with the Change of Degree or Field Form.  The program proposal specifies and documents the following important requirements.

  • Specific title of the interfield degree.  The name of the interfield degree lists the disciplines in a sequence that reflects the academic focus of the program–one being secondary to a primary field. 
  • Courses to be taken, grouped within discipline areas
  • Subject areas for the qualifying examinations
  • Residence intentions
  • Foreign language and other research tools to be completed in the program
  • Operating procedures of one academic field to be utilized in determining qualifying examination procedures, the dissertation committee, and other measures for a student’s progress toward the degree. The operating procedures should be consistent with those of the academic field in which the majority of work will be completed.

Program proposals are subject to the approval of the faculty and deans of both fields concerned, and must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for administrative approval and processing.

Interfield application instructions are available on the Registrsr’s Office webpage (www.cgu.edu/registrar).

Interfield doctoral students may receive a master’s degree in one but not both fields.

Significant changes in examination or program design must be submitted by the student for approval by the relevant department committees, the dean of the school, and the Registrar’s Office.

Special Academic Programs

California State Administrative Credentials

The faculty in education offers a program to meet certification requirements for school administrators—the Professional Administrative Services Credential. Credential and PhD work may be combined. Work toward the Professional Administrative Services Credential is integrated with the program in education leadership. An outline of the philosophy and structure of the urban education leadership doctoral program is included in the Education  section.

Summer Session

Summer at Claremont Graduate University offers a variety of courses taught by regular faculty, members of the other Claremont Colleges, and distinguished visiting and adjunct faculty.  Courses are designed for currently enrolled students, but are open to students from other colleges and universities as well as to those individuals interested in a professional, graduate level educational experience.

Courses offered during the summer include required and elective courses, which are fully integrated with the academic-year curriculum.  Students are provided with options for completing research tool requirements as well as afforded opportunities to participate in internships and field placement seminars.

Additional information about the summer session is included in the Information for Applicants  section.

Non-CGU students must complete a Summer Visitors - Student Registration form and must receive approval from the academic department of interest prior to the start of the summer semester.  Individuals who are accepted as Summer Visitors are not guaranteed admission to Claremont Graduate University and must follow all Admissions procedures and requirements to secure admission as a CGU student.

Professional Credit Unit Programs

From time to time, the faculty of Claremont Graduate University offers professional development programs based on a professional credit unit (PCU) conferred for graduate study not associated with advanced degree programs. Education and credit given in these programs has served as a basis for salary increments and other recognition of program participants by their employers.

Enrollment in a PCU-earning program does not constitute acceptance to the Claremont Graduate University.  Individuals who are subsequently accepted into a University masters-level program may transfer up to six PCU units earned prior to beginning a CGU degree program.  The student must petition for acceptance of PCU units. requiring the approval of the appropriate department faculty.

Tuition for professional credit units is established on a program-by-program basis each year.  Generally, these fees have been substantially less than that those charged for regular degree programs. Grades of S (Satisfactory) and U (Unsatisfactory) are used; if letter grades are specifically recommended, CGU grading policies apply.

PCU activities are offered in a variety of formats. Some follow the usual semester plan, while others may take the form of intensive work over a limited period of time. Structure is determined by the nature of the program objectives.  In all cases, strict adherence to established deadlines for the completion of course work is required. Administrative support, including registration and enrollment and transcript documentation, is provided by the Registrar’s Office.

McNair Scholars Program

The Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program seeks students who have completed at least a college sophomore year, are first-generation and low-income, or who are from an ethnic group that is underrepresented at the doctoral level (African-American, Latino-American, or Native-American).

The program encourages students to pursue graduate studies by providing opportunities to define goals, engage in research, and develop the skills and student/faculty mentor relationships critical to success at the doctoral level. The program awards each student with a $2,100 stipend and provides a six-week summer academic program designed to increase skills, confidence, and encourage enrollment in graduate school.

McNair scholars receive 10 units of graduate credit for successfully completing five graduate level courses during the six-week summer session. The courses may become part of the student’s program at their undergraduate institution.