2018-2019 Bulletin 
    May 24, 2019  
2018-2019 Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Resolution Process

Claremont Graduate University is committed to providing a valued learning experience for our students and we appreciate the opportunity to enhance that experience. Should an issue be brought to our attention, CGU will take appropriate action to seek resolution.  Students are encouraged to pursue our internal resolution process for any complaints before contacting external state sources for resolution.

CGU students are encouraged to first speak to their faculty member if they have an academic issue. If an issue cannot be resolved at that level, a student may contact the academic department for information on how to proceed. The Grievance Policy is located in the University Policies  section of this Bulletin.

If the issue involves an allegation of academic dishonesty, please review the Academic Honesty Policy  located in the Academic Policies section of this Bulletin.

If an issue submitted to CGU by a student is unresolved and involves a complaint arising under State laws, the student may contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) at:

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833
Telephone: (916) 431-6959
FAX: (916) 263-1897

Students have the right to contact higher education regulatory agencies or an accrediting agency for specific issues. 

CGU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).  Questions about CGU’s compliance with criteria for accreditation can be directed to:  https://www.wscuc.org/comments

For students who are residents of states outside of California, consumer inquiries also may be directed to the following consumer protection agencies.

Consumer Protection Agencies


Arizona Attorney General
Address: 1275 West Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ 85007-2926
Phone: 602-542-5025
Website: https://www.azag.gov/contact-us


Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: 916.431.6959
Website: http://www.bppe.ca.gov/about_us/contact.shtml

Complaint Form: https://www.bppe.ca.gov/enforcement/complaint.shtml


Colorado Department of Higher Education
Address: 1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-866-2723
Website: http://highered.colorado.gov/DHE/contact.html


Connecticut Office of Higher Education

61 Woodland Street

Hartford, CT 06105-2326

Phone: 860.947.1800

Website: http://www.ctohe.org/

Complaint Form: http://www.ctohe.org/StudentComplaints.shtml



Delaware Higher Education Office

John G. Townsend Building, Suite 2

Dover, DE 19901

Phone: 302-735-4120

Website: dheo@doe.k12.de.us


Delaware Attorney General

Consumer Protection Unit

Carvel State Office Building

820 N. French Street, 5th Floor

Wilmington, DE 19810

Phone: 302-577-8600



District of Columbia

Note: The Higher Education Licensure Commission is the agency of last resort in the CGU Resolution Process.

Office of the State Superintendent of Education
Higher Education Licensure Commission
1050 First St. NE, Fifth Floor
Washington, DC 20002

Phone: 202-727-6436

Website: https://osse.dc.gov/service/higher-education-licensure-commission-helc-public-complaints

Complaint Form: https://osse.dc.gov/service/higher-education-licensure-commission-helc-public-complaints


Commission for Independent Education
Address: 325 W Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Phone: 850-245-3200
Website: https://prod.flbog.net:4445/pls/apex/f?p=128:5:11870167740605
Complaint Form: http://www.flbog.edu/contact/_doc/ComplaintFormRevisedFinal.pdf


Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

2082 E. Exchange Place, #220

Tucker, GA 30084-5334

Phone: 770-414-3306

Website: https://gnpec.georgia.gov/student-complaints

Complaint Form: https://gnpec.georgia.gov/student-complaint-form   



Hawaii Postsecondary Education Authorization Program

P.O. Box 541

Honolulu, HI 96809

Phone: 808-586-7327

Website: http://cca.hawaii.gov/hpeap/    

Complaint Form: http://cca.hawaii.gov/hpeap/student-complaint-process/



Idaho State Board of Education

Attn: State Coordinator for Private Colleges and Proprietary Schools

650 West State Street, P.O. Box 83720

Boise, ID 83720-0037

Phone: 208-332-1587

Website: http://www.boardofed.idaho.gov/index.asp    

Complaint Form:  https://boardofed.idaho.gov/higher-education-private/proprietary-schools-non-degree-granting/student-complaint-procedures/


Illinois Board of Higher Education
Address: 431 East Adams Street, Second Floor
Springfield, IL 62701
Phone: 217-782-2551
Website: http://www.ibhe.org/contactUs.htm


Indiana Commission for Higher Education
101 W. Ohio Street, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-4206
Phone: 317-232-1033
Website: http://www.in.gov/che/2744.htm   

Complaint Form: https://www.in.gov/che/files/161116_ICHE_StudentComplaintForm.pdf



Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Dr., #320
Frankfort, KY 40601-7512
Phone: 502-573-1555

Website: http://cpe.ky.gov/policies/licensure.html


Kentucky Office of the Attorney General
Capitol Suite 178

700 Capitol Avenue
Frankfort, KY 40601-3449
Phone: 502-696-5389

Complaint Form: https://ag.ky.gov/consumer-protection/complaints/Pages/default.aspx



Louisiana Board of Regents

P.O. Box 3677
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-3677
Phone: 225-342-4253

Website: http://www.regents.la.gov/subhome/institutional-licensure  


Louisiana Attorney General Office, Consumer Protection Section

P.O. Box 94005

Baton Rouge, LA 70804

Phone: 225-326-6465

Complaint Form: http://www.ag.state.la.us/Complaint.aspx?articleID=16&catID=15



Maryland Higher Education Commission

6 North Liberty Street, 10th Floor

Baltimore MD 21201

Phone: 410-767-3388

Website: https://mhec.maryland.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Process: https://mhec.maryland.gov/institutions_training/Pages/career/pcs/complaint.aspx

Complaint Form: https://mhec.maryland.gov/institutions_training/Documents/acadaff/MHECStudentComplaintForms.pdf


Maryland Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division

200 St. Paul Place

Baltimore MD 21202

Phone: 410-528-8662

Website: http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/complaint.htm 



Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

P.O. Box 30004

Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: 517-241-9223

Website: https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-61343_35414_60647_2739—,00.html

Complaint Form: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/lara/LCE-992_0715_494884_7.pdf?20150901092906



Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

3825 Ridgewood Road

Jackson, MS 39211-6453

Phone: 601-432-6372

Website: http://www.mississippi.edu/mcca/

Complaint Form: http://www.mississippi.edu/mcca/downloads/studentcomplaintform.pdf



Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 95005

Lincoln, NE 68509

Phone: 402-471-0030

Website: https://ccpe.nebraska.gov/  


Nebraska Attorney General

Consumer Protection Division

2115 State Capitol

Lincoln, NE 68509

Phone: 800-727-6432

Complaint Form: https://protectthegoodlife.nebraska.gov/file-consumer-complaint


New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education – Division of Higher Education

101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH  03301
Phone: 603-271-2695
Website:  http://www.education.nh.gov/highered/  


Commission of Postsecondary Education
Address: 8778 South Maryland Parkway Suite 115
Las Vegas, Nevada  89123
Phone: 702-486-7330
Website: http://cpe.nv.gov/

New Jersey

New Jersey Office of Secretary of Higher Education

20 West State Street

4th floor, PO Box 542

Trenton, NJ 08625-0542

Phone: 609-984-3738

Website:  https://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/

Complaint Form: https://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/documents/pdf/OSHEComplaintForm.pdf


New York

Office of College and University Evaluation
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 960 EBA
Albany, NY  12234

Phone:  518: 474-1551


Website: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/ocue/spr/COMPLAINTFORMINFO.html

Complaint Form: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/ocue/spr/documents/complaintform-accessible.pdf



Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Phone: 405-225-9142

Website: https://www.okhighered.org/state-system/

Complaint Form:http://www.okhighered.org/current-college-students/complaints.shtml


Oklahoma Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Unit

Attn:  Investigative Analyst

313 NE 21st Street

Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Complaint Form: http://www.oag.ok.gov/consumer-protection-unit1  


Oregon Student Assistance Commission, Office of Degree Authorization
Address: 1500 Valley River Drive, Suite 100,
Eugene, OR 97401
Phone: 800-452-8807
Website: http://oregonstudentaid.gov/oda.aspx


Pennsylvania Department of Education - Postsecondary and Adult Education

333 Market Street, 12th Fl

Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333

Phone: 717.783.8228

Fax: 717.722.3622

Websites: ra-collunivseminfo@pa.gov


Complaint Form: https://www.education.pa.gov/Documents/Postsecondary-Adult/College%20and%20Career%20Education/Colleges%20and%20Universities/Higher%20Education%20Complaint%20Form.pdf


South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
1122 Lady Street, Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201

Phone: 803-737-3918
Website: http://www.che.sc.gov/  

Complaint Form: http://www.che.sc.gov/CHE_Docs/academicaffairs/license/Complaint_Procedures_and_Form.pdf


South Dakota

South Dakota Secretary of State – Postsecondary Education
State Capitol

500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070

Phone: 803-737-3918
Website: https://sdsos.gov/general-information/postsecondary-education/default.aspx  


South Dakota Office of Attorney General, Division of Consumer Protection

1302 E. Highway 14, Suite 3
Pierre, SD 57501-8053

Complaint Form: http://consumer.sd.gov/complaintform.aspx   



Higher Education Commission, Division of Postsecondary State Authorization
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243

Phone: 615-253-8857
Website: https://www.tn.gov/thec/bureaus/student-aid-and-compliance/postsecondary-state-authorization.html

Complaint Form: https://www.tn.gov/thec/bureaus/student-aid-and-compliance/postsecondary-state-authorization/request-for-complaint-review.html   


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Academic Affairs and Research
Address: 1200 E. Anderson Lane, Austin, TX 78752 - P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788
Phone: 512-427-6101
Website: www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=AC6FA0BC-F5DB-16DE-6B667C083DFB5B98


Utah Division of Consumer Protection
Address: 160 East 300 South, 2nd Floor
PO Box 146704
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6704
Phone: 801-530-6601
Website: http://www.dcp.utah.gov/consumerinfo/
Complaint Form: http://consumerprotection.utah.gov/complaints/index.html


Vermont Agency of Education
120 State Street

Montpelier, VT 05620-2501

Phone: 802-479-8545

Website: http://education.vermont.gov/vermont-schools/school-operations/post-secondary-programs

Vermont Attorney General’s Office

109 State Street

Montpelier, VT 05609-1001



Virginia State Council of Higher Education

101 N. 14th St. James Monroe Building

Richmond, VA 23219

Phone: 804.371.2285

Website: http://www.schev.edu/

Complaint Form: http://www.schev.edu/index/students-and-parents/resources/student-complaints


Washington State Office of the Attorney General
Address: 1125 Washington St SE
P.O. Box 40100
Olympia, WA 98504-0100
Phone: 360-753-6200
Website: http://www.atg.wa.gov/file-complaint#Complaint

West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission

1018 Kanawha Blvd E., Suite 700

Charleston, WV 25301-2800

Phone: 304-558-0262
Website:  http://www.wvhepc.com/


West Virginia Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division

PO Box 1789

Charleston, WV 25326-1789

Complaint Form: https://www.wvhepc.org/resources/Complaint_Process.pdf



Guam Council on Post-Secondary Institution Certification

312 Aspinall Avenue

Hagatna, GU 96910
No consumer complaint process developed yet


U.S. Virgin Islands

University of the Virgin Islands Board

Government of the United States Virgin Islands Department of Education

Office of the Commissioner

1834 Kongens Gade

St. Thomas, V.I. 00802

Phone: 340-693-1200